Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I attended the annual Town of Gates Memorial Day service this morning.

I have been going to this event each year for over 20 years. I am happy to say that it has not become a "bother" but remains an event at which I am inevitably moved by a poignant story or two about men and women who gave that "final measure of devotion" to their country.

The numbers of veterans who attend have been dwindling. It appears that few Viet Nam era vets have joined the VFW's and Legion Posts around here. I imagine that the less than warm reception many of them received from their fellow citizens may have led them to keep their service history more private. I wonder if the veterans from our current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will feel differently, given that military is held in somewhat higher esteem today. I hope so.

I made sure to bring my kids go to this event, over the years, as well, (although my daughter now attends as a member of the High School marching band). I want them to hear the stories and see the aging veterans so that they may have some bit of appreciation for what these people did for us. Its so easy in our wired world to plug in to an ipod or laptop and ignore what is going on around us.

For 60 minutes, I am glad to take a break and quietly remember people who gave everything so that we could enjoy the many blessings of life. It is so very important not to forget what these people did for us.

No comments: