Saturday, November 3, 2012

Random Thoughts

I'm in the office taking a break from getting some work done. It's amazing how much more productive I can be when no one is around and the phone is not ringing. I think I accomplished more in 3-4 hours working late or on the week-end than I do working 8 hours during a regular day.

The election is now only three days away. I'm ready for the decisions to be made. Obviously, I am a strong supporter of Mitt Romney for President and Maggie Brooks for Congress. The polls show close races, but I think Mitt has the upper hand. Maggie's situation is not as clear; the latest poll showed an increase in the lead for Louise Slaughter. Frankly, I felt that the Brooks campaign did not generate the level of enthusiasm that I expected. I am certainly no political pro, but I wish there had been a few more rallies and maybe a few less commercials. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of them.

The internals from the poll I mentioned confirmed something else that I have long believed. Namely, that eastside Republicans are wishy-washy members of the party. The poll shows that westside Republicans strongly support Maggie, while the party (un)faithful in Pittsford, Perinton and Penfield are far more tentative. It doesn't surprise me. Eastsiders are superior, you know. They play squash; westsiders grow it. They like to show that they aren't robotic partisans, but that they are sophisticated and capable of nuance. Well, their nuanced voting preferences may well keep Louise in Washington for two more years.

Is it possible for the media to be more in the tank than they are right now? The complete failure to cover the Benghazi story is a disgrace; their pro-Obama take on his hurricane Sandy efforts is laughable. I watched Bob Woodward, he of Watergate fame, try to explain the failure of the media to press Mr. Obama on the multi-faceted Benghazi scandal. At least he was a little embarrassed. Meanwhile, the president drops into New Jersey for a one hour photo-op with Chris Christie and then jets off to another Vegas fundraiser (hmm....hasn't he done that before. And back in NY and NJ, 8 hour gas lines, no power or water, FEMA befuddled, Staten Islanders dumpster-diving for food. The media crucified GW Bush for just "flying over" New Orleans during Katrina. But Obama, nah, he's their guy.

Finally, I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to call the election for Mitt Romney. My brother was in Vegas last week (he just missed the President...darn!). I told him to look for a book that was taking bets on the election. I wanted to put money on Romney/Ryan over 300 electoral votes. We'll see Tuesday night/Wednesday morning if I am Nostradamus or if I'm tearing up my tickets to the inaugural ball.

No comments: