Monday, June 8, 2009

GOP "Re-Takes" Control of NY Senate

In a surprise move, two Democrat State Senators (Hiram Monseratte and Pedro Espada) gave control of the State Senate back to the GOP by voting to organize with the Republicans and elect Dean Skelos as majority leader.

"Deposed" Democrat majority leader, Malcolm Smith declared the move illegal and he vowed to fight to give New Yorkers the government they voted for. Speaker Silver also indicated that he would work to get the Democrats back into control of the State Senate so that the agenda the people of New York voted for could move forward.

I'm glad that the GOP is back in control. The "agenda" that Smith and Silver were promoting was not what the people had in mind. Still, I'm a little disheartened by the fact that that at least one of the defectors (Sen. Monseratte) has been indicted for campaign finance violations and charged with assaulting his former girlfriend.

I understand the value of GOP control of the Senate. I just wish our new allies were better people. I'd prefer to get control of the Senate back by running good people who have good ideas. These guys are opportunists at best. I would not be surprised that they go back to the Democrats if they get a better offer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Repoman:

Let's put that silliness aside . Here is something interesting-- I have been reading about the drug problem in Iran. Stats I've looked at, and many say they are too low, put the number of addicts at 20 million out of a population of 66 million. Wow! 3,600 Iranian police have been killed fighting the drug trade. The UN has stated that "Iran has paid a heavy price for the drug production in Afghanistan." Iran clearly has a hugh drug problem due to the drug producers in Afghanistan. So too, HIV/AIDS is very much an issue in Iran.
I have said many times, the world revolves on bucks and f.....s. Hopefully, as we work to stop Iran from having "the bomb", we can see them as an ally agaisnt the Teleban. In the final analysis- the Teleban in Afghanistan and in Pakistan - are drug lords looking for control of the $$$$$$$$. Iran's drug problem may be an opening.

Just a thought!.

A Secular Franciscan said...

In an unrelated question - what happened to the Gates blogger? There was a new one, now he's gone?

(And no, I'm not tempted to come out of retirement. I bugged someone at the D & C anyway - they didn't mind me tweeking politicians, but when I dared to criticize the newspaper, yoicks! - so I doubt they would have me back.)

repoman said...

Hi, Lee.

Yes, the Gates Blog is not what it used to be. When you were there, I checked it out almost every day. Now, I rarely look.

You should go back to the blog.

I still owe you that cup of coffee.