Sunday, March 13, 2011

Please, Sir, I Want Some More.

No, I'm not referring to Oliver Twist, instead my heading refers to John Halstead, the President of SUNY Brockport. He wrote this essay in todays Democrat & Chronicle suggesting that SUNY tuition should be allowed to increase.

His essay outlined his arguments justifying a tuition increase. He also described the potential negative ramifications of a failure to do so.

I don't have a big quarrel with his argument about possible service cuts, but I think there is an underlying question that his essay left begging. I would like an explanation from an educator like Mr. Halstead regarding the reasons that college education costs have outpaced inflation by a factor of four. Are there some unique factors which have necessitated such cost growth? Everything costs more than it did 20 years ago, but the costs of higher education have skyrocketed. Details, please.

Mr. Halstead's arguments are reasonable if the current cost structure is reasonable. I'd like a discussion in that vein before we simply agree to more of the same.

No comments: