Monday, April 6, 2009

Better Than I Think?

As you know, I'm a pretty big critic of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle. But lately, I've been beginning to think I may be a little harsh.

After all, there are some pretty big and well-regarded newspapers which have folded or are on the ropes. The Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer are gone and the Philadelphia Inquirer, San Francisco Chronicle, Minneapolis Star-Tribune, and Boston Globe are among the walking wounded.

So far, Gannett is not talking bankruptcy or closure for the D&C. At this point, employee furloughs are the worst case. The D&C has made a real effort at capturing internet readership, too. Plus, Rochester turns out to be a city where a big percentage of the population read newspapers.

Well, I'm not going to stop criticising the editorial perspective, but I guess I have to give Gannett some credit for (so far) staying ahead of the curve on the demise of newspapers.

No comments: