Sunday, November 1, 2009

See The World Through Other Eyes

I was in New York City on Thursday to make an appearance at the US Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan.

The Court is located in what was once the US Customs House for New York. The building sits on the location of Fort Amsterdam, the original Dutch settlement in New York. It is on the southern tip of Manhattan island next to Battery Park at Bowling Green. This is also the beginning of Broadway and is near Wall Street and the financial district.

The Customs House has an important history. Until the onset of the Federal Income Tax, import duties were the largest source of Federal income and the NY Customs House was the biggest collection point. Also, Custom House employees were political appointees. The President appointed the four principal officers and these appointees had high prestige, great power and local authority, large incomes and enhanced social status. As Collector of Customs, Grover Cleveland developed political IOU's he later used to become President.

Despite all of this, I was there only to go to Court and I was oblivious to much of the history around me. I arrived early on Thursday and I did not want to go in (because you must surrender your cell phone/BlackBerry). As I waited outside, I began to notice how many tourists were in the area. More than 50% were foreigners, but there were also a lot of students and regular folks, too. They were taking pictures, oohing and aahing at the buildings and historical markers, and generally soaking in all of the fascinating sights that those of us who have become jaded take for granted.

I was happy that I had a little extra time that day. It gave me the chance to look around and appreciate my surroundings. Despite everything, New York is a great city in a great country. Its good to be reminded now and then.

No comments: