Thursday, November 10, 2011

Swan Song For Swanton

I saw Sue Swanton as I picked up the vote tally at Hidden Valley on Election Night. Sue was working as a Democratic Party election inspector/site chair.

This was Sue's last election in Gates. She bought her family home in Rush and she will be moving shortly.

Sue was a three time candidate for Gates Supervisor and long-time Gates Democratic Party leader. In fact, Sue resurrected the Democratic party in Gates and turned it into a formidable organization. In 2007, she came within a small number of votes of unseating GOP legend Ralph Esposito.

I have been involved in Gates politics for 30 years and Gates GOP leader for 20. I have seen a number of Democratic party leaders and candidates over those years. Sue was head and shoulders above the rest. I did not agree with her on many issues and we exchanged a few cross words now and then, but Sue did make the Democrats a party to reckon with.

I wish her well in her new endeavors, but I won't miss her as a political opponent. On the other hand, the Gates Democratic party already misses her.

No comments: