Tuesday, January 29, 2008

After Rudy, Where Do I Go?

The voters in Florida are deciding Rudy Giuliani's electoral fate as I write this. Unless the polls are way off again, its lights out for Rudy.

And that leaves me with a dilemma. Who will I support for the GOP nomination if Rudy calls it quits? Based on the apparent Florida results, the race is basically becoming a two-man contest between John McCain and Mitt Romney. Each of them has positives and negatives (I guess that's obvious).

McCain has great personal appeal to me due to his service and great courage as a POW in Viet Nam. Given that I view national security issues as paramount, his strength in that area gives him a lot of points. But, I can't get away from the fact that he has taken some real flyers away from many mainstream GOP/Conservative values and issues. His positions on immigration, campaign finance, and interrogation techniques, have left me scratching my head. I also think his (and his sidekick, Lindsay Graham's) actions on judicial appointments, were a mixed bag, at best.

Then there's Romney. He has a pretty good record as an administrator; very successful at salvaging the Olympics in Utah and bringing a very liberal state (Massachusetts) back to fiscal sanity. On the negative side, it seems like he changes positions like most people change their clothes. He has also been the more negative campaigner of the two.

I guess I could support either one, though I'm still holding out (faint) hope that Rudy will have a miracle finish in Florida and stay alive for the nomination. If not, I'm going to have to choose.

And the NY Primary is only a week away!

No comments: