Thursday, January 10, 2008

Punditry Unabated

As you must know by now, the reports of Hillary Clinton's demise were greatly exaggerated.

Did the fact that reality smashed scores of cleverly thought-out analyses cause the pundits to take a break from further baseless prognostication? Not on your life!

In the 48 hours after Hillary's win postponed the Obama coronation, the talking heads were back at it, spinning out new scenarios for wins and losses by virtually every candidate. They were undaunted by having been completely wrong on Tuesday.

As you know, I am a Giuliani supporter and, although I don't like her, I expect Hillary to be the Democratic nominee. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the next few primaries, but I do know that the media has a very poor record of "electing" candidates. We ought to relax and let the voters tell us who they want.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi John, Rubes here. You better have a back up choice for president. Rudy is on the ropes and running out of dough. Even if he had the wallet of Mitt, he has too much baggage now to go the distance. Also terrorism comes in behind the economy which renders Rudy less relevant (if he ever was).

I think your party is going to nominate McCain...

repoman said...

Rubes:

I'm going to wait and see. Rudy's apparently gambling it all on Florida. His big lead has evaporated into thin air. Or perhaps it was blown away by a "Huck-a-bomb".

Its amazing to me that McCain was able to come back so strongly after appearing to be finished. Its clear that no one on the GOP side has very deep support.

In fact, the results in Michigan, South Carolina and Florida, could reshuffle the deck again. Rudy needed to stay in the hunt through Feb. 5th. I don't know if he can do it.

Its interesting, though. No matter what the politicians do to try to make the later primaries matter, the media's 24/7 coverage keeps the focus on the few small early states.

There is no real explanation why wins in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, should decide the nomination. The incredible media circus magnifies the importance of those small states. That makes it tough on a guy like Rudy, who has national appeal, but doesn't do well in the places where the early primaries fall.

At the risk of expressing some pointless punditry of my own, I'll offer the opinion that the GOP nomination could actually go to its convention. In that scenario, Rudy still has a shot. I'm not holding my breath for him, though.