Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Don't Spend It All In One Place

My wife and I received our "stimulus check" yesterday. It was a whopping $31.30. I have been trying to figure out how I could use it in a way that would best stimulate the sluggish US economy.

The really funny thing about the check was the letter explaining how the amount was arrived at. First, we qualified for $1,200.00 as taxpayers filing jointly. Then we added $600.00 for our dependent children. Great, we were up to $1,800.00! I was ready to start stimulating!

Not so fast said the IRS. It seems that because of our vast, Trump-like income, there was a deduction of $1,768.70. Apparently Uncle Sam thought my last name was Golisano, not DiCaro.

The final irony was the last paragraph which pointed out that low-income Americans, even if they had paid no taxes, would receive $300.00 - $600.00. So, if you were like me and had paid too much in taxes, you got little or no rebate; if you paid no tax, you got a $300.00 - $600.00 check!

You gotta love Congress!

No comments: