Monday, October 19, 2009

D&C Chooses "None of the Above"

The Democrat and Chronicle began its endorsements for the 2009 local election cycle on Sunday, with an endorsement of the unopposed Bob Duffy for Rochester Mayor.

This morning the D&C turned to the suburbs. It used its whole page on the Town of Greece, which, I guess is fitting since Greece is the largest town and has been so much in the news lately. The most notable endorsement was a non-endorsement. The D&C refused to endorse a candidate for Supervisor.

I can only assume that the Democrat running for Supervisor does not have a heart-beat. Jack Auberger has gotten so much negative publicity through the Merrit Rahn, Nick Joseph, Gary Pignato scandal, that you would have thought the D&C would have given the nod to almost any credible Democrat. I guess Mr. Maloney is not any credible Democrat.

Obviously, as Gates Town Attorney I'm most interested in the D&C's choice for Gates Supervisor. Being involved in Gates GOP politics, I've always pulled for the Republican to get the nod. My personal interest is even more keen this year, however, since one of the candidates, Mr. McIntee, has twice publicly indicated that I will be the first to go if he is elected.

(Full Disclosure: Mark indicated that he thinks I should go because he believes my involvement in the Gates GOP is inconsistent with being Town Attorney, not because he doesn't like me.)

Personal interest aside, I do think the endorsement should go to Mark Assini over Mark McIntee. Assini's financial and budget experiences in County government and the private sector give him the advantage in a race for Supervisor at a time when many budget challenges are looming due to New York's fiscal problems.

It will be interesting to see what the D&C has to say.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the left wing liberal D&C has decided for McIntee over Assini. No surprises there. The D&C has always wanted a municipal police force in Monroe County and McIntee will open the door to that again. But, the D&C is losing readership and is headed towards bankruptcy. The Times Union went under and so will the D&C due to their poor management and liberal bias. I am looking forward to voting for Mark Assini to be our next Gates Town Supervisor.

repoman said...

You are quite right!

McIntee and the Democrats say they want to cut taxes. The only way to cut taxes materially, is to cut a major program or service. The Gates Police has been their target for years.

McIntee's bogus claim that he will get $1.5 million from Monroe County for police services is laughable to anyone outside the D&C editorial board. When he determines he can't get that money, he will fall back on cutting the Gates police and endorsing metro police services. Then Gates residents can say good-bye to 24/7 police coverage and less than 5 minute response times.

I hope the people of Gates see through this sham.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your follow up repoman !
The Gates police KNOW our neighborhoods and our people very well. Yes, their response time is very fast. I do not want them contracted out to other areas such as the city, Greece or Chili. Metro police is a very bad idea it injects the city's liberal politics into the suburbs. McIntee is a Democrat and cutting taxes is alien to that party.
Mark Assini Will Win and Follow in Ralph's footsteps of responsible government.

repoman said...

From your lips to God's ears, anonymus.

I do think Mark Assini is going to win. The D&C has lost much of its influence because so many people do see through their thinly veiled partisanship.

We need to get the message to all of our friends and get them to the polls to protect the Gates PD by voting for Assini.

Anonymous said...

I have the Assini sign in my front lawn and so does my next door neighbor
and the guy across the street.
I take nothing for granted and remind every responsible Gates tax payer to vote conservative GOP.

King Dinglefritz said...

Where is my Assini sign?

repoman said...

King:

Believe it or not, we are out of signs.

I am trying to scrounge around to see if we have any duplicates. If so, I'll get one to you.

We appreciate your support.

A Secular Franciscan said...

I'd like an Assini sign, too!

repoman said...

I will try to find a couple more.