Monday, October 12, 2009

Election Season-2009

Election Day is less than a month away, but it can't get here soon enough to suit me.

This has clearly been the least pleasant campaign season I have ever been associated with. I am actually quite glad that my involvement in politics is winding down because politics has changed dramatically since I was first involved in the 70's.

The degree and stridency of partisanship has really begun to take the joy out of political activism for me. This year, the nastiness has made it to the local level, which, in my mind, had generally avoided the worst aspects of partisan politics.

As I look at the campaign ads and rhetoric, I am struck by how little the Democrats are talking about their records or about what they propose for the community. So far, the Democratic campaigns in Monroe County have focused on "scandal and corruption" in the GOP. Saturday's Democrat & Chronicle had a story by Jill Tereri which included Democrat County Chairman, Joe Morelle basically acknowledging that fact.

The Democrats talk about openness and transparency in government and an end to "corruption". Well, no one wants corrupt leadership and I assume everyone generally wants open, transparent government. The Democrats have not bothered to say what they will do about taxes, spending, issues, etc., that will be different from the GOP administrations they want to replace.

I guess its easier to try to attach your opponent to someone who may have broken the law and hope that guilt by association will take hold. That seems to sum up the Democrat's campaign - guilt by association. Bob Morone is a thief and he's a Gates Republican, therefore all Gates Republicans are thieves. Merrit Rahn was corrupt. He worked for Jack Auberger, so Auberger and the Greece GOP must be corrupt.

I hope that voters will see through these tactics and vote for candidates who try to win their votes with positive, not negative messages.

3 comments:

King Dinglefritz said...

I traditionally vote democrat but I will be voting for the Gates GOP candidates this year. They have not done Gates wrong during their time in power and if guilty by association is the best the democrats can do well they will not get my vote.
Keeping the Gates Police Dept. intact should be job one and a vote for the GOP is a vote for the Gates Police.
My goodness Repoman, I think you are starting to rub off on me. It must be time for your King to see his therapist.

A Secular Franciscan said...

I'm voting for two Republicans this time - Assini and Allkofer - and one Democrat - Swanton.

repoman said...

King:

I don't know if I'm rubbing off on you, but the Gates GOP will welcome your votes.


Lee:

If the Election Day tally breaks the way you intend to vote, we would be in for an interesting 2 years with a 3-2 Town Board.

We still need to have that cup of coffee. You know, my office is right behind the Jitters on Elmgrove Road. If you are in that neighborhood, give me a shout.