Monday, May 31, 2010

Obama's Responsibility

There has been a lot of criticism of President Obama lately. While I consider myself a fairly strong critic of the President, I think some of the recent charges go too far.

First, I've see a lot of commentary regarding Obama's taking a vacation in Chicago rather than laying the wreath at the tomb of the unknowns. I think this is a bit over the top. Both Presidents Bush took vacations on some Memorial Day week-ends. The President is entitled to some time with his family. Further, as I understand it, he is going to a ceremony at the Lincoln National Cemetery today. So, let's drop this one.

More notably, the President is coming under increasing fire regarding the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I really have mixed emotions about this one. It is not at all clear that the Federal government could have done much in the wake of the explosion. I think people have outsized expectations about what a President and the government can do, in any event.

Perhaps that is the legitimate criticism of the President. He, like many of his Democrat colleagues, tout the almost unlimited ability of the Federal government to solve virtually any problem. Perhaps its fitting that he get some blame as the oil continues to spill from the damaged BP well and the Feds look helplessly on.

Still, like Bush with Katrina, I do not think it is fair to lay the entire matter at the President's feet. This is a true environmental disaster. We should take a close look at all of the reasons why it happened (including why our oil companies have to drill in deep water when there are shallow coastal areas, and remote land areas [like ANWR] where drilling is safer and easier, that are off limits). The response by the Obama Administration may ultimately be deemed insufficient, but at this point, I think its too early to make a definitive determination.

I am always afraid that people will stop listening if they think criticism is knee-jerk and unwarranted. I'd rather restrict my catcalls for Obama's clear and unequivocal mistakes (of which there are many). Lets keep our powder dry on weak issues so that our valid "indictments" of Obama are returned with a guilty verdict.

UPDATE: If you want to read some opinions which outline serious and damning criticism of the President, take a look at this and this.

No comments: