Friday, January 12, 2007

Some Thoughts on Blogging and Baby Boomers

I have been looking at my blog.

Actually, I've been looking at it quite a bit. I've been tweaking my profile and the layout and colors and fonts. I've been trying to figure out how to create links and bring in pictures. I am fascinated with blog mechanics!

All of this is a little surprising to me, since I created my blog just yesterday, and only so I could respond to a post in another website. I just had no idea how compelling blogging would seem.

I have figured it out, though. Its because I'm a Baby Boomer. Clearly, there is no topic a boomer would rather contemplate than himself. Blogging is the natural confluence of a boomer's inexhaustible self -absorption and the infinite reach of the world wide web.

On our blogs, we get to opine about any topic we choose, and at any length. This is true whether our opinions are informed or anecdotal. It doesn't matter if no one reads our writing except ourselves. We can imagine our insightful musings, floating on the ether of the Internet, waiting, like the Dead Sea Scrolls to be discovered by some intrepid archivist. And, if never discovered, more's the pity for the rest of our fellows.

So, I'm hooked on blogging after only a few hours as an official, sanctioned blogger. I will continue to give forth my views and, despite my claim of indifference, I will wait and hope for the blessed day when some third party responds to one of my posts. Until then, I'll content myself with the knowledge that my views are indispensable, at least to me.

1 comment:

Lami said...

You made me laugh!
Keep up the observations!