Saturday, June 23, 2007

Communing With Nature

I'm about to go off to Canada to commune with nature.

Once a year, I join my family at Christie Lake, near Perth, Ontario. While it is a lovely and peaceful place, and although my family loves it, I cannot honestly say that I look forward to the trip.

I am, after all, an urban outdoorsman. My idea of roughing it is no room service. Thank God we have a cabin with an indoor toilet (my absolute minimum requirement). I will spend the next week swatting bugs, listening for animals, and worrying about what I'm missing at work.

The saving grace is that my kids love the place and we will all remember our times at the lake quite fondly. I'm sure I'll never forget the look on my son's face when I took the hook out of a fish's mouth for the first time. I guess that's why I keep going back.

No comments: