Saturday, June 16, 2007

Immigration Reform: It Ain't Dead Yet!

Incredibly, President Bush has lobbied hard among GOP Senators to bring the behemoth Immigration Bill back to life.

I find it incredible that George Bush has used up the precious little political capital he has left, to cajole Republicans to destroy their own party. And, apparently, they are willing to go along!

I have previously stated my objections to this bill, so I won't go over that ground again. I can only express my incredulity at the idea that the President, after 6+ years of partisan attack, back-stabbing, and hypocrisy, somehow believes that any of the positive parts of this bill (i.e., the tougher border security, employer enforcement, and, an end to chain migration) will survive legislative repeal once he is replaced by a Democrat .

His current actions on this bill confirm for me that being in Washington saps the judgment, morality, and good sense out of all but the strongest-willed. Obviously, George W. Bush is not one of the exceptions.

No comments: