Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Repo-Dad Vindicated

My kids are going trick-or-treating as pirates this year. They are big fans of Jack Sparrow and Pirates of the Caribbean.

While we were out running errands last week, my 13 year-old daughter asked me to stop at Wal-Mart so that she could try to find an accessory to her costume. Well, she found it. It was part of a costume packaged as "Pirate Wench". She only wanted a part of the costume to add to hers, but I refused to buy it.

I told her that I would not buy a costume for a 13 year-old that characterized itself as "Pirate Wench". I said that she should keep looking. She found two other female pirate costumes. One was "Glam Pirate", the other "Pirate Hottie". I was quite stunned, but, as I looked through the costumes, I realized that most of the costumes for girls were sexually suggestive. Needless to say, we did not buy anything.

As I related this story later to several of my friends and co-workers, they did not seem surprised that this was the case. In fact, some of them appeared to believe that I should have bought the "Wench" outfit since my daughter was not planning to wear any of the suggestive parts.

I was beginning to think that maybe I was crazy, but then I stumbled upon this Newsweek column. I guess there is a trend out there to dress up little girls as "hotties"! Kids as young as 6-8 years old!

Yikes! Have parents lost their minds completely? Any parent buying this stuff needs to have their head examined.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Johnny Dad,

Good for you. But I am not sure its for reasons that you think. My guess [and I hope I am wrong] is that you oppose the sexual nature implied by these costumes. I, too, think that is over the top. BUT even more, I don't like the idea of perprtuating the idea that girls are meant to be someone else's eye candy.

Now I know your wife well enough to know that Evelyn will never live to be someone else's eye candy. She will become a young woman with a mind of her own and rock solid self esteem.

So fret not and don't worry about the sex thing. We should encourage all girls that they are better than just growing up to be someone else's hottie.

Even as a mother of a son, I do my bit. That is why I buy Wonder Woman Barbie for all the parties of girls that Michael goes to. And when I don't, its because Michael has told me "she wants Hot Wheels or Power Rangers, but the the pink one, Mom."

Speaking of "I am Woman Hear Me Roar," what is your take on Tuesday's debate and all the Hillary blah blah that has gone on since.

Rubes

repoman said...

Ms. Paula:

Evelyn plans to be a tycoon; I'm not worried about her being controlled by anybody.

Meanwhile, I've posted a couple of things on the debate. Hillary didn't do as well as she has in previous debates. Clearly, though, she's wearing the front-runner's bulls-eye.