Tuesday, May 29, 2007

pot-pourri

A couple of brief political and personal notes from the Gates Memorial Day service.

First, our Town of Gates' Blogger Lee Strong must get some kudos for the power of his "pen" (mouse?). Lee chided County Legislator Steve Eckel for being a no-show at most Gates functions. Eckel made the Memorial Day event, courtesy of (it is to be assumed) Sue Swanton, who apparently relayed Lee's message.

Second, Lee bristles at claims that he has "Democrat cohorts". It could be, however, that this impression is derived from his regularly sitting with Sue Swanton and Democrat candidates and officials at most public events. If he wants to be bi-partisan, I'd be happy to sit with him. After all, I am a member (honorary) of the Friends of the Gates Library.

Finally, I was glad to have my son with me. He is 9 going on 10, and, like most kids his age, he has rather little idea of the underlying meaning of Memorial Day. He was a little reluctant to get up and go to the service, but I insisted. I explained that it was important to go and show our respect and gratitude for the sacrifice of those many soldiers and their families. I think he got it, at least, a little. I'll keep working on him. I consider it part of my responsibility to educate him in what it means to be a good citizen.

2 comments:

A Secular Franciscan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Secular Franciscan said...

At town meetings, I've been trying to sit away from them. At the Memorial Day event, I sat down, and Sue arrived later and sat next to me.

When I chat with folks after events, I tend to gravitate toward folks like Mark Assini. (Even if he is a Jets fan.)

If you were out in the audience at an event, I'd be happy to sit with you. We seem to have a mutual love for old movies.

But I do think Ayn Rand is evil!