Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Thompson's In?

It appears that Fred Thompson has all but announced his intention to seek the GOP presidential nomination. He had indicated that an announcement was coming in June but this USAToday interview/story doesn't leave much doubt.

I've been pretty sure that he was coming in and I figured he needed to do it fairly soon if he wanted any chance to collect significant campaign funds. He's been a strong 3rd or 4th in many polls without actually announcing his candidacy. Interestingly, his entry may signal the death knell for the McCain campaign, which has been fading fast anyway.

As you know, I'm backing Rudy, but Fred is a guy I would strongly support if he should get the nomination over Rudy. What I'd really like, though, is a Rudy/Fred ticket.

Update: Prof. Bainbridge tells us why he likes Fred (and maybe why we should, too).
HT: Instapundit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the fact he likes cigars puts me over the top.