Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Render Unto Caesar

In church with my family this weekend, I was unhappy to find politics intruding into worship.

During our prayers for God's help, one of the requests was for Congress to have the wisdom to enact compassionate immigration reform. Rather than offer my "hear us, O Lord", I found myself issuing some rather un-christian mutterings.

I realize that the Council of Catholic Bishops has called for the passage of the Immigration Bill before Congress. Still, I disagree that this is an issue of social justice rather than law and politics. Social justice concerns require us to treat the illegal aliens in this country in a compassionate way, even as our laws require them to face deportation or other punishment for violating our nation's laws. It does not require us to ignore the fact that they did violate those laws, nor does it require us to give amnesty for their crimes.

George W. Bush expressed how social justice concerns required us to act towards illegals, when he was governor of Texas. In the face of a growing illegal immigrant incursion, California had just passed a law that would deny education, health care and social service assistance to illegals and their children. Texas was faced with a similar problem and Bush was asked if Texas ought not pass a similar law. He said that while it was appropriate to try to keep illegals out of the country, once an alien child was in Texas, Texas was going to feed, educate, and care for that child.

That properly expresses the balance that should be sought on immigration policy. We have a right to keep illegal aliens out of our country. The current group of illegals may ultimately be allowed to stay, but only after they take steps to show they want to become Americans, not just vacuum up some dollars to be sent "home" to Mexico. While here, these people and their children should be treated fairly (as they are, by and large).

Meanwhile, I am thinking of writing my pastor. I recently agreed to his plea for increased weekly donations. I want to let him know that when I disagree with politicians, my donations start to dry up.

No comments: